Monday, September 3, 2007

Auditions, Callbacks, CASTING!


Last Thursday I auditioned for Charlotte's Web! I thought I had done "okay." I felt that I could've done better but everyone reassured me that I had done very well. So, as I always have done after I get compliments, I got my hopes up.

Next morning, I came downstairs around 8:00 and my mom told me that I was called back for the Goose, Mrs. Arable, Mrs. Zuckerman and Charlotte. I was blown away! Four roles? Surely the directors made a mistake and put down too many names. So I went to callbacks and asked what I had been called back for. The lady at the desk told me that, indeed, I had been called back for all four parts. That's just weird, I thought to myself. So I sang and read for all of them.

#1. The Goose: I had practiced earlier how I would read my lines and sing this part. I decided that I would go with a sort of, masculine, motherly, controlling tone voice. I also added the thoughts of having a long neck like a goose. So I ended swinging my head around, while saying the lines, pretending I was goose! I made myself crack up. :]

#2. Mrs. A & Mrs. Z: I knew at once that I didn't want these parts. They were old women, and I did not want to pretend to be farmer's wives. I wanted to play a fun, young kind of role. I did my best nonetheless.

#3. Charlotte: THIS was the part I really wanted. Really, really, really wanted. I had practiced all her songs over and over before callbacks. I got up there, and gave it my all. But, there was this other girl, who did absolutely wonderful. I just knew that she had the role.

So, I went home, hoping for...The Goose. Since obviously, the other girl was already Charlotte.

I couldn't sleep that night. I was wide awake. My stomach was fluttering and my head was swimming with questions. My eyes wouldn't close and I couldn't stop moving around, trying to get comfortable. I would go from being so hot, I had to throw my blankets off. Then I would get so freezing cold that I would get out of bed and get an extra two blankets. Finally, I fell asleep dreaming of computers with headlines saying, "CAST LIST FOR CHARLOTTE'S WEB".

Next morning.


Let us take a moment of terrible not-knowingness............................................





I am Charlotte!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Alright, let me explain. I woke up around 7:00 this time. I sat bolt upright, feeling sore from thrashing around in my sleep like a girl who was having some serious not-knowing-dreams. I lunged for the door and basically flew down the stairs. At the bottom, I heard my parents talking in the back room. I couldn't tell what they were saying. I rushed into the room and blurted, "Isthecastlistup?" For a moment I searched their faces and could've sworn I'd seen that familiar sympathy. I didn't get a main part, I thought. Then my mom smiled from ear to ear. I got The Goose. "What'dIget?" I asked, scared of what I was going to hear. "See for yourself!" They gestured toward the computer. I rushed to it and read the nightmare words across the page, CAST LIST FOR CHARLOTTE'S WEB. My eyes flicked down to the top of the list. There, I read the word Charlotte and next to it, my name.

I caught my breath and then let out a forced, "Oh my gosh." My dad laughed and I sat down and clicked the refresh button. My name came up again. Again. Again. I didn't believe it! I got Charlotte. I'm Charlotte? No, silly! The computer's messed up. Refresh. WHY IS MY NAME STILL THERE? OhmygoshI'mCharlotte.

And there you go folks, I. am. Charlotte.

I still didn't believe it until I saw one of my directors last night and she greeted me with the words, "Hey, how are you? CHARLOTTE." And then it went: BAM. I finally got my lead role.

5 comments:

Erin said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!! YAY!!!! THAT IS SO THRILLING.

I cannot tell you how much fun I had reading this post. :) Keep 'em coming.

We are Tommy's Advocates said...

Congratulations! We're all so proud of you!

Traci said...

YES!!!! GOOD JOB!!! I could not read it fast enough!

Anonymous said...

Way to go!!! I have enjoyed hearing all about your budding music theater career from your mom's blog! My sister Emily just started today as a freshman at University of Michigan Ann Arbor as a voice performance major (w/ a big scholarship) -- emphasis on opera. Her voice is amazing--I'll try to remember to send you a copy of her senior recital CD because I think you would really enjoy it. Its so fun that you both were little playmates and now both love singing!

Break a leg!

Sarah Hoskins

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to the bestest Charlotte there will ever be!!! Looking forward to coming to see you! Please give us the dates!!! Love, Grandpa & Grandma